Just completed a good piece of work for a new client. Requirements were the following:
- Hotspot for sit down clients that would be controlled – timed and capped.
- Office network both wifi and cabled – Point of Sale IPAD on wifi and receipt printer on network cable. Both networks to be separate so POS is safe from Hotspot users.
- Landline phone – operating on VOIP.
- Reliable internet access since all services would be dependent on this.
This is what we implemented:
Telkom LTE modem providing the latest LTE speed and internet quality.
The reason going for this was twofold:
1. Installing a Telkom fixed line for internet and landline features was not a customer preference and would have been tedious. Customer preferred the pre-paid option as well.
2. Hotpot users would get quality controlled internet access experience through speed and reliability.
Our network equipment of choice – a little Mikrotik beauty.
- Inbuilt Hotpsot feature – client would print out vouchers every morning with different restrictions – 30 minutes with 100 Megbit Cap for example. When customers login with ticket vouchers given to them, they connect to wifi hotspot network, automatically get directed to a login page on their browsers to login via their voucher.
- Proper and secure separation of Office and Hotspot users – so that Hotspot users would not see the network which hosts the Customer’s POS and and business information.
- Fail-over of internet services. Also installed a 3G usb modem on the Mikrotik so that should the LTE connection go down for whatever reason, the USB connection from another provider would provide temporary internet access for for just the Office network until the LTE connection came back on(regular monitoring) . Scripts on the Mikrotik provided a little voodoo magic which makes the whole process transparent to the Customer – they don’t have to do a thing. System just works!
- VOIP mobile handset with a landline number that is connected to hosted VOIP provider over the internet connection of the Mikrotik. Since there is fail-over of internet services, the connection should be reliable. However, for whatever reason, should the connection not be reachable, automatic forwarding to the client’s cell phone is enabled!
- Secure remote management and support of the setup so that we can promptly provide assistance should the need arise.
Expecting positive feedback from our client over next few weeks.
Reliable and secure internet access is definitely achievable! Call us now to get yours sorted.